Sunday, April 03, 2011

Tonal Restoration on washed out photos

image
imageIt was a very overcast day and that makes large view distance photos very washed out. I saw the sheep on the next ridge and thought it would make a good photo, so I took a bracketed set (5 photo at 1 EV steps). And surprise, surprise they are washed out! Not to worry I took the set expecting to use the HDRI technique to restore some tonal depth and detail. Using my version of picturenaut on my portable apps memory stick, I used ass the basic defaults and exposure tone mapping with automatic contrast set in the histogram dialogue. This insures that picturenaut tries to use all useable pixels across all the photos to reproduce tones across the extended tonal range. So you will be able to appreciate how closed to the edge the sheep are grazing.
image

No comments: