Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Just how many digital photos do I actually have?

I am catching up on a few things, including backing up photos from my recent travels, and I got to thinking -

"Just how many digital photos do I actually have?"

It took me a while to figure out how I might get picasa to do it. The on-line picasa help and forums weren't a lot of use other than informing me that picasa 3 can now handle a millionpicass step one photos. I didn't think I had that many. Then I read that backup would estimate the number of discs required, and figured it must also counts the files, folders etc. to do that. It is in fact very easy to do, On the tools menu find the backup pictures item and a set of dialogue boxes appear at the bottom of the screen. Ignore panel one for this process.

So don't start the back up, just selectpicasa step 2 all in panel two and picasa will go away and search through it database and get a summary of not only number of photos, but also disk space consumed and the number of CDs or DVDs required to back up everything . I had my answer now and hit cancel not burn!

Cpicassa total files 

Ok the answer is way to many photos. 141 Gigabytes! 220 CDs! That's probably a seriously bad habit!

No comments: