Monday, October 25, 2004

Unexpectedly Creative Deformation

I took this photo from my hotel room in Brisbane, as dawn was breaking. I liked the colours of the morning light on the buildings but I was looking for a way to straighten up the buildings. The curvature being due to my zooming out to get a wider view.

Original Photo: Dawn in Brisbane

I was using the Deformation browse function In Jasco's Paint Shop Pro, when I happened upon a deformation called Curly Qs. It has introduced a pattern at a different level, abstracting the image but in some ways making a stronger composition that is reminiscent of a Salvador Dali or futurist painting. I've also stretched the tone which has enriched the colours a little

Curly Qs deformation

This is not something I am likely to "blow up", print and frame as an art work for the wall. However it might make a great image for a background to a title slide in a slide show, a card, unique coasters & table mats, mouse mat, a coffee mug, or a fabric square for your grandmother's patchwork quilt (I'm not kidding these are all currently available ways to use digital images) The creativity potential of digital images if really unlimited

No comments: